Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Here Be Dragons

You asked me to explain my interests and beliefs in the paranormal, and after much hesitation, I did. I was hesitant because we had only been dating for a short while. One look at your befuddled face was enough to make me shut up about it and resign myself to being "dating friends," When you would manage a weak joke about ("Forget your broom, today, baby?") I pointedly ignored you and would mumble the freedom of religion clause under my breath... like a mantra. That you never told me your beliefs nor did I ever ask, was indicative of just how much I did not want to share that particular aspect of my life.

And then one day, you gave me a bit of jewelry. A dragon. With red eyes. All convoluted like a tattoo. It spoke to me of the resurgence of the worship of the Ancient Ones in a generation that has recovered the ability to see magick and to lose the Christian imposed suspicion of the subtle energies.

You thought it was strange and grotesque and sooo me. And you sat, wide-eyed, watching me when I told you what it was about. You didn't buy the whole esoteric thing, but you did sit still enough to listen.

There was a conversion that night. I thought, "Hey, it could happen. This could be something." I call it "hope" but my best friend, who saw me after that night, she calls it "love."

No comments:

Post a Comment